On this page you will find a series of links to journals which deal with the use of technology in learning and teaching. Some journals are free-to-view online, others require an Athens password (available from your university library or information services department). Please remember that some sites that require an Athens password may be accessible if you are accessing the Link on your university network and your institution has paid a subscription to this journal.
- ALT-J - Research in Learning Technology
- This popular journal aims to promote good practice in the use of learning technologies in education and industry and facilitate collaboration between practitioners, researchers, and policy makers.
- JIME - Journal of Interactive Media in Education
- This online publication from the Open University contains a wealth of information about the use
of technologies in learning.
- British Journal of Educational Technology
- Articles cover the whole range of education and training, concentrating on the theory, applications and
development of learning technology and communications. Athens password is required to read the online content.
- Online newsletter of the Learning Technology Support Service at the University of Bristol
Back to top
Journals with a focus on English Studies and Technology
- Kairos is a refereed online journal exploring the intersections of rhetoric, technology, and pedagogy.
Each issue presents varied perspectives on special topics.
- Computers and Composition - An International journal for teachers of writing
- Computers and Composition Online
- is the refereed online companion journal to Computers and Composition: An International Journal, now in its 20th year and
published by Elsevier. The staed goal is to be a significant online resource for scholar-teachers interested in the
impact of new and emerging media upon the teaching of language and literacy in both virtual and face-to-face forums.
- Vectors: Journal of Culture and Technology in a Dynamic Vernacular
- Vectors is an online journal that embraces the Internet as the space for embracing and engaging critical experimentation and collaboration on topics related to and inspired by its digital environment.
Back to top
Humanities Computing Publications
- Computers and the Humanities
- Reports on significant new research concerning the application of computer methods to humanities scholarship.
- Computing in the Humanities Working Papers
- An interdisciplinary series of refereed publications on computer-assisted research.
- An international electronic seminar on the application of computers to the humanities.
Its primary aim is to provide a forum for discussion of intellectual, scholarly, pedagogical, and
social issues and for exchange of information among members.
- Literary & Linguistic Computing
- Publishes material on all aspects of computing and information technology applied to
literature and language research and teaching.
- Text Technology
- An eclectic journal for academics and professionals around the world, supplying articles devoted
to any use of computers to acquire, analyze, create, edit, or translate texts.
Back to top
Educational Technology (General)
- American Journal of Distance Education
- An internationally recognized journal of research and scholarship in the field of American distance education.
- Australian Journal of Educational Technology
- The Australian Journal of Educational Technology is a refereed journal publishing research and review articles in
educational technology, instructional design, educational applications of computer technologies, educational telecommunications and related areas.
- Computer Mediated Communication Magazine
- Published monthly from 1994 to 1999, CMC Magazine reported on people, events, technology, public policy, culture, practices,
study, and applications related to human communication and interaction in online environments.
- Computers & Education
- Contemporary Issues In Technology and Teacher Education (CITE)
- Is a publication of the Society for Information Technology and Teacher Education (SITE). CITE makes possible
the inclusion of sound, animated images, and simulation, as well as allowing for ongoing, immediate dialog about theoretical issues.
- DESIEN - Distance Education Systemwide Interactive Electronic Newsletter
- A searchable, interactive newsletter which emphasize distance education themes
published by the University of Wisconsin-Extension.
- Educational Media International
- This journal provides an international forum for the exchange of information and views on new developments in educational and mass media.
- Educational Research
- Drawing upon research projects in universities and research centres worldwide, it is the leading international forum for informed thinking on issues of contemporary concern in education.
- Education and Information Technologies
- The Official Journal of the IFIP Technical Committee on Education.
- European Journal of Open and Distance Learning
- A recently established journal with little actual content as yet - free subscriptions offered.
- Interactive Multimedia Electronic Journal of Computer Enhanced Learning
- IMEJ is a prototype for an interactive multimedia electronic journal edited and produced at Wake Forest University.
- International Journal of Technologies for the Advancement of Knowledge & Learning
- TechKnowLogia is an international online journal that provides policy makers, strategists,
practitioners and technologists at the local, national and global levels with a strategic forum to explore technologies, share ideas etc.
- International Journal on E-Learning (IJEL) (formerly IJET)
- Journal of the Association for Advancement of Computing in Education
- International Review of Research in Open & Distance Learning(The)
- A refereed e-journal to advance research , theory & best
practice in open and distance learning worldwide.From Canada's Athabasca
University. Free Subscription!
- Inside Learning Technologies
- Inside Learning Technologies is the dedicated publication that supports the UK Learning Technologies exhibition and conference.
Published three times per year, the magazine contains in-depth articles on the latest learning trends and developments as well
as covering all the major issues affecting the IT skills and e-learning markets.
- Interpersonal Computing and Technology Journal
- This journal's focus is on computer-mediated communication, and the pedagogical issues surrounding
the use of computers and technology in educational settings.
- Journal of Computer Assisted Learning
- Journal of Computer Mediated Communication
- A web based journal with extensive online archives (since 1995)
- Journal of Distance Education
- Journal of Educational Multimedia and Hypermedia (JEMH)
- JEMH is designed to provide a multi-disciplinary forum to present and discuss research, development and
applications of multimedia and hypermedia in education.
- Journal of Interactive Learning Research (JILR)
- The Journal of Interactive Learning Research (JILR) publishes papers related to the underlying theory, design, implementation,
effectiveness, and impact on education and training of the following interactive learning environments.
- Merlot: Journal of Online Learning & Teaching
- MERLOT is a free and open resource designed primarily for faculty and students of higher education. The MERLOT Journal of Online Learning and Teaching (JOLT) is a peer-reviewed, online publication addressing the scholarly use of multimedia resources in education.
- Journal of Technology & Teacher Education (JTATE)
- JTATE serves as a forum for the exchange of knowledge about the use of information technology in teacher education. Journal content covers preservice and inservice teacher education, graduate programs in areas such as curriculum and instruction, educational administration, staff development instructional technology, and educational computing.
- Language Learning & Technology
- A refereed journal for second and foreign language educators
- Learning & Training Innovations
- Building and delivering advanced learning environments for business, government, and higher education. This online magazine
contains news, real-world case studies, research reports, in-depth technology articles, and expert columns.
- SYLLABUS - Technology for Higher Education
- Claims to be the only 'monthly magazine that focuses exclusively on the use of high tech in higher education, providing a platform for
advancing new IT solutions at the college level.
- Teaching with Technology Today
- Examining and conveying how learning technologies affect and enhance teaching, learning, and
research and based at the University of Wisconsin.
- The Technology Source - Archives
- Published from 1997 to 2003, The Technology Source (ISSN 1532-0030) was a peer-reviewed bimonthly periodical whose purpose was to provide thoughtful, illuminating articles that would assist educators as they face the challenge of integrating information technology tools into teaching and into managing educational organizations.
Back to top
- CIT Infobits
- Published by the Center for Instructional Technology at the University of North Carolina, monitors and
selects from a number of information and instructional technology sources and provides brief notes for electronic dissemination to educators.
- e-learning and education (eleed) Journal
- Based in Germany this journal offers a platform for new scientific research results and experience reports about all aspects of e-learning. Besides providing a forum for researchers and practitioners in the field, "e-learning and education" aims to support cooperation and community building and foster open e-learning standards.
- The Journal
- A U.S based educational technology magazine.
- The Journal of Asynchronous Learning Networks
- Providing practitioners in online education with knowledge about the very best research in online learning.
- The Learning Technology
Back to top
- Online Education Special Interest Group
- ONLINE-ED is a moderated electronic mailing list aiming to provide a focus for online education and
to act as a catalyst to promote online education.
Back to top